1. Don’t be upset when I jump for joy when you come through the door.
I only live for ten or fifteen years. You are what makes that time enjoyable. It’s hard on me when you go away.
2. Give me time to understand what you want from me.
I don’t always get it right on the first try, but I promise I’m trying as hard as I can.
3. Just like I trust you, I need you to trust me, too.
4. And please don’t lock me up to punish me.
5. Take me inside when the weather gets bad.
The backyard doesn’t have air conditioning or a heater. You don’t have to let me on the couch, but a small part of the kitchen is much better than sleeping in the snow.
6. Sure, we don’t speak the same language, but the sound of your voice brightens my whole day.
7. Comfort me when I’m scared.
8. Teach me that humans are made of love, not pain. And don’t ever let me forget it.
9. Come outside with me.
10. Let me make new friends.
11. Give me a treat ever once in a while.
12. Please don’t hit me.
I have teeth that can crush bone. Instead, I cover you in sloppy, wet kisses. Just as I choose not to hurt you, please make the choice to not hurt me.
13. Understand when I need my alone time.
14. Show me your world.
15. Let me get dirty once in a while.
16. Pay attention if I don’t seem like myself.
It might seem like I’m just being lazy or stubborn, but I might not be feeling well. I can’t get help for myself, and I need you to look out for me.